Wednesday, May 20, 2015

T-Shirts

Two suitcases full of t-shirts. . . and an educational career of memories.
My challenge was to sort the t-shirts and make a quilt (or more than one quilt)
to preserve those high school and college memories.

This is what came from half of those t-shirts:


I'm (finally) posting about this adventure - and am entering this quilt in the 
Blogger's Quilt Festival - in the Large Quilt category.

You can visit the Festival and Vote for your favorite quilts in all the categories
by clicking HERE

AmysCreativeSide.com


I used a quilt-as-you go technique that allowed me to quilt each t-shirt top separately.  I was able to  out-line some of the words on the front of the t-shirts without having to manipulate the whole quilt top under the arm of my little Singer sewing machine.

I used black strips as lattice on both the front and the back.  The strips on the front I cut at 1.5 inches.  The strips on the back I cut at 2 inches wide.  You can read about how to construct the quilt using this technique by visiting  The Happy Zombie .

The quilt measures 85" by 54". 

Here you can see how I outlined the College name from the front of the t-shirt -
 and it shows up so well on the back of the quilt. 





I also did some fancy stitching on some of the shirts. 
(Pretty sure I have never stitched a treble clef with my sewing machine before!)





And I stitched waves where water was a well-suited feature.




You may have noticed a theme of PURPLE in many of the t-shirts....
So I chose this lovely batik for the back, with aqua accents...


This was a lot of fun to make and I love the way the black frames the shirts so well.


Voting Starts Friday, May 22.  
Vote for your favorite quilt in the Large Quilt category.
AND

2 comments:

  1. I like how you did QAYG for this quilt. I bet it made putting it all together a bit more stable. I will have to remember that if I ever do a T-shirt quilt. I like how you laid it out. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete