Saturday, May 5, 2012

UFO #4 April - Finished!

For my April UFO I set the goal of machine quilting a table runner my Mom had created.  It appears that she was practicing a bunch of piecing techniques.  And it has some applique on it.  I think this is the last applique that my Mom did.  It's not as good as her earlier work, but I want to preserve what she was able to do even near the end.



My goal with this piece was to practice machine quilting - and to learn Free Motion quilting on my machine.  I searched and searched for a darning/free motion foot for my Singer.  And found one at our local sewing machine store.

And then I just tried it!  I worked the free motion quilting on the paisley print- so I could not really get very good pictures of the stitching from the right side of the quilt.  So the pictures are of the back side of the piece. (And even that is hard to see because I used the same color thread as the backing!)







I was extremely pleased with what I was able to do.


 I also did some shadow-quilting with my walking foot around the applique.
My daughter liked this.
Here is a close-up.
I hope to keep up the free motion quilting - and get better at it.

The table topper has found its home on our dining room table for now.

Check out the other April UFO projects at Patchwork Times.

Now.  On to the May UFO!!
CathyH

1 comment:

  1. How special that you have finished something that was started by your mother. I have a Grandmother's Flower Garden that I remember my mother working on when I was a little girl. I have to get it out and work on it again.

    ReplyDelete